Redd scores 36 to pace Bucks

Print Print
Associated Press
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
— Bobby Simmons just wants to play. Scoring is a bonus.

Simmons scored a season-high 24 points and Michael Redd added 36 in the Milwaukee Bucks’ 119-115 overtime win over the New York Knicks on Tuesday.

“It’s very fun,” Simmons said. “Just being out on the floor is the fun part. Having the opportunity to make plays.”

Andrew Bogut, who missed the last two games because of a broken nose, chipped in with 24 points and 13 rebounds for Milwaukee. The Bucks snapped a four-game losing streak and won for the second time in the last 12 games.

Simmons recently was benched for four games and played 7 scoreless minutes game against Orlando on Friday. He had seven points in 20 minutes at Chicago on Saturday.

“Bobby has been very professional about the whole situation,” Bogut said. “He’s been in the doghouse a little bit and hasn’t played. For Bobby to come out tonight after he had games where he hasn’t played is being professional about it. He hasn’t sulked about it at all. He deserves every shot he made tonight.”

New York’s Quentin Richardson scored 22 points and Zach Randolph and Jamal Crawford each added 19.

The Knicks lost their fifth straight road game and are 2-15 in their last 17 games.

“I think at the end of the game we definitely took some quick shots and had a couple of turnovers that we definitely shouldn’t have had with that group that we had out on the floor,” New York coach Isiah Thomas said.

Simmons, who averages 6.7 points per game, scored the first six points in overtime to give Milwaukee a 115-111 lead with 2:45 remaining.

“If I was in position to make a play, I was pretty much going to force the play,” Simmons said.

After a basket by Wilson Chandler cut Milwaukee’s lead to 115-113, Desmond Mason hit a shot and Bogut added a free throw for a 118-113 lead with 1:11 remaining.

Crawford then threw a pass out of bounds, but Simmons was called for an offensive foul on the other end.

On New York’s next possession, Randolph missed a jumper and Richardson missed a 3-pointer.

Redd made a free throw with 16.7 seconds remaining and Richardson’s field goal put the score at 119-115 with 4.7 seconds left.

“It’s always tough,” Richardson said. “You don’t win the games and you don’t have the season, the expectations that you thought you had going into the season don’t pan out, it’s tough. But you’ve got to keep playing.”

New York forced overtime when Richardson made two of three free throws with a second left.

After Simmons’ layup gave Milwaukee a 109-107 lead with 1.8 seconds remaining, Richardson was fouled by Ramon Sessions on a 3-pointer from the corner.

Richardson’s first free throw bounced off the front rim but he made the next two to tie the score at 109-109. Milwaukee was unable to get a shot off before the buzzer.

New York started the fourth quarter with an 88-77 lead but Milwaukee used a trapping press and scored the first 11 points to tie the score at 88 with 8:30 remaining.

“I thought that was an opportunity for us to maybe fold our tent, but guys kept coming and making shots,” Milwaukee coach Larry Krystkowiak said.

Last updated: 9:02 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print