Passerby spots Janesville house fire

Print Print
Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Thanks to the quick action of a passerby Monday afternoon, a family of six escaped a fire at their home at 610 Linn St. in Janesville.

Firefighters were called to the scene just after 1 p.m., when Troy Hollibush of Rockport Road, who was visiting a friend nearby, spotted the fire in the enclosed wooden porch. He pounded on the door to alert Jeff Weber and his family before grabbing the garden hose and knocking down the flames, Shift Commander Tim Ehlers said.

An electrical failure—old tube-and-spindle wiring—in the two-story stone house may have caused the fire. The blaze caused $1,000 of damage, primarily to the porch. Only a small amount of smoke got into the house. No one was injured.

Last updated: 11:37 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print