Fire destroys combine, 10 acres of corn
Town of Beloit firefighters responded to the scene at 1:15 p.m. after the 1995 John Deere combine Jason Henschler was operating caught on fire.
Most likely, the combine’s bearing overheated and ignited corn debris in the machine, a town of Beloit firefighter said.
The fire quickly spread throughout the combine. The machine and to 10 acres of the 100-acre field were destroyed. The combine cost $100,000 when bought used and will cost $250,000 to replace, according to the fire department. Crop damage was estimated at more than $3,000.
Orfordville and Town of Turtle fire departments provided mutual aid with brush rigs. Firefighters were on scene for three hours.
Last updated: 9:56 am Thursday, December 13, 2012