Early morning fire displaces four people

Print Print
Monday, October 22, 2007
— Tenants of a two-story apartment got out of a residential fire safely early today.

Janesville firefighters were dispatched at 4:22 a.m. to 603 S. Main St. for a kitchen fire after ashes from an ashtray were thrown into the wastebasket, starting the fire.

The fire also eventually spread to a nearby plastic gas can, that melted from the heat and fueled the fire, a Janesville Fire Department shift commander said.

Although the fire was contained to the kitchen, smoke and heat damage spread throughout the first-floor apartment. Smoke also damaged the second floor apartment, the shift commander said.

Tenantsóa woman on the first floor and a mother and her two young children on the second floorówere not hurt but were temporarily displaced from their homes, the shift commander said.

Firefighters offered to call the local chapter of the American Red Cross Chapter for tenants, but they said they had friends or relatives they could stay with and would make contact if they needed help later.

Janesville firefighters and two fire engines remained at the scene 90 minutes after the fire started.

Damage was estimated at $25,000.

Last updated: 4:57 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print