Janesville72°

School officials believe no gun threat

Print Print
FRANK J. SCHULTZ
November 20, 2007
— Police are investigating a report that a student at Wilson Elementary School intended to bring a firearm to school four or more weeks ago, a school district spokeswoman said. Officials believe there is no immediate danger.

A letter explaining the situation was sent home Monday to parents.


“There is no gun or plan to have a gun at school. The student who reportedly made comments about wishing to have a gun is being dealt with, and the police continue to help us monitor safety at our school,” Principal Ann Lund said in the letter.


District spokeswoman Sheryl Miller said a Wilson parent got the information from his daughter and reported it to police over the weekend.


School officials met with police Monday morning and asked that they continue their investigation, Miller said.


Miller said a girl told her father that a boy had said he was upset with some people at school and intended to bring a gun to school and use it on them.


The student accused of making the threat was not in school Monday, Miller said.


Police reported they had been given a name of a fourth-grade boy, but the name did not match anyone in the fourth grade. The investigation was continuing Monday afternoon.


Miller said anyone with concerns may contact Miller at (608) 743-5137 or Lund at 743-7305.



Print Print