McGuire fights Jesuits' efforts to expel him
Last year, a Wisconsin jury convicted the Rev. Donald J. McGuire of molesting two boys from Loyola Academy in Wilmette in the 1960s.
McGuire now faces lawsuits on a string of new child molestation accusations as well as a federal indictment that alleges he traveled overseas with a minor with an intent of having sex with him.
As a result of the conviction and other allegations against him, the Chicago Jesuits have presented McGuire with a dismissal decree from the order, which still needs Vatican approval to become official. McGuire said he has appealed to the Vatican not to allow the dismissal.
The Jesuits would not say whether they’re also seeking McGuire’s removal from the priesthood.
“I will always be a priest,” McGuire said in an interview with the Chicago Sun-Times. “They can’t take that away.”
Two Arizona brothers have filed a civil lawsuit in Chicago alleging the priest molested them. The lawsuit alleges McGuire of Oak Lawn molested the boys during confession between 1988 and 2002 in Arizona and in Chicago.
The alleged victims are now 20 and 28 years old.
As a result of the Wisconsin conviction, McGuire was sentenced to seven years in prison and 20 years of probation.
A judge has allowed him to remain free as he appeals his conviction.
The priest said he spends his days in prayer.
“I don’t know what the future holds,” he said. “I’m in God’s hands.”
When asked by the Sun-Times whether he had molested children, McGuire declined to comment.
Last updated: 10:46 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012