Four treated after gas leak

Print Print
Gazette Staff
Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Four Beloit Memorial Hospital staffers were treated in the emergency room after a gas leak in a supply room at 7:50 p.m. Tuesday.

The city and hospital emergency plans were put into action, and the Janesville Fire Department hazardous materials response team was called. The treatment of the four people was a precaution, and all four were treated and released, according to a hospital news release.

Beloit city firefighters were first to arrive Tuesday night and identified the gas as ethylene oxide, which is used in the sterilization of operating equipment. The gas was confined to one room. “At no time were any patients in the hospital in harms way nor did they need to be evacuated,’’ the press release stated.

The Madison and Rockford, Ill., fire departments provided informational support. The incident remains under investigation.

Last updated: 10:57 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print