Gas main struck; residents displaced Sunday night

Print Print
Gazette Staff
Wednesday, December 26, 2007
— Displaced by a natural gas outage Sunday night, many residents and employees of some 280 homes and businesses east of Beloit returned home Sunday and to work Monday to have their natural gas furnaces re-lighted.

Many of them spent the night at a warming station established by the Red Cross at Aldrich Middle School in Beloit.

About 10 p.m. Sunday, Casey K. Johnson, 22, Beloit, was driving a pickup truck east on County S when he lost control and veered off the north side of the roadway, striking an exposed natural gas main, the Rock County Sheriff’s Department reported.

Alliant Energy crews arrived at the scene and turned the gas flow off at 10:51 p.m. Alliant representatives then went door-to-door to shut off the gas valve at each affected residence and business. Power was restored to all homes by 3:30 p.m. Monday, said an Alliant spokesman today.

No one was injured in the incident, and Johnson was ticketed for driving too fast for conditions, deputies reported.

Last updated: 10:19 am Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print