Tax refund checks await their owners

Print Print
Saturday, December 1, 2007

More than 50 people in Rock and Walworth counties have money waiting for them.

Their tax refund checks were sent back to the Internal Revenue Service as undeliverable.

The case is the same for 1,164 Wisconsin taxpayers with nearly $849,000 in waiting refunds.

In Rock County, 31 taxpayers can claim checks totaling $20,638, with refunds averaging $666.

The checks can be reissued as soon as taxpayers correct or update their addresses with the IRS. In some cases, a taxpayer has more than one check waiting.

“We want people to get the money that belongs to them,” IRS spokesperson Christopher Miller said in a statement. “Visiting IRS.gov makes it easy for taxpayers to see if they have a refund waiting.”

Across the country, an average refund of around $953 is waiting for 115,478 taxpayers whose refund checks have been returned to the IRS. The checks total more than $110 million. Undeliverable refunds, however, account for less than one-tenth of 1 percent of all refunds, or about one in 1,000.

Here’s how to get your money and other tips on receiving refund checks:

-- The “Where’s My Refund?” tool on IRS.gov enables taxpayers to check the status of their refunds. A taxpayer must submit his or her Social Security number, filing status and amount of refund shown on his or her 2006 return. The tool will provide the status of the refund and, in some cases, provide instructions on how to resolve delivery problems.

-- Taxpayers can access an automated telephone version of “Where’s My Refund?” by calling 1-800-829-1954.

-- Refund checks are mailed to a taxpayer’s last known address. Checks are returned to the IRS if a taxpayer moves without notifying the IRS or the U.S. Postal Service.

Taxpayers can update their addresses with the IRS on the “Where’s My Refund?” feature. Also, taxpayers checking on refunds will be prompted to provide updated addresses if undelivered checks are outstanding within the last 12 months. Taxpayers checking on refunds over the phone will be given instructions on how to update their addresses.

-- A taxpayer also can ensure the IRS has his or her correct address by filing Form 8822, Change of Address. Download the form from IRS.gov or request it by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM/829-3676.

-- Those who do not have Internet access and think they might be missing a refund should first check their records or contact their tax preparers, then call the IRS assistance line at 1-800-829-1040 to update their addresses.

Who's on the list

Rock County


Bella L. Booth, Joan C. Burnett, Ricky L. Butler, N. L. Castellanos, Dawn M. Ford, Fernando Garcia Figueroa, Erin S. Hummell, Nathanael Jones, Pamela L. Lincoln, Sandra A. Mars, Jubal M. Martinez, Israel A. Mercado, Flora Santacruz De Martin, Jose De Luz and Maria Ramirez Vargas


Beatrice A. Anderson


Griselda A. and Clemente Onofre Anell, Todd E. Bickle, Robert M. Bird, Daniel S. Cowan, Ashley Damitz, Oscar Abraham Garcia, Shirley L. Haseltine, Jeremy James, Mark E. and Patricia L. Lanser, Hiram D. May, Matthew R. Richardt, Cullen A. Rothmeyer, Phillip M. Sikich, Thomas R. and Virgie Maynard Whitman


Reynaldo and Minerva Gurrusquieta, Kenyatta A. Mczell

Walworth County


Anita L. Bray, Ian Geiss, Todd M. Kowalski, Gerardo C. Martinez, Theresa Simpson, Michqualynn Vaughn


Mark J. Hummel, Jarett R. Myers, Bonnie L. Nelson, David J. Patterman, Nidia Robles, Guillermo & Maria Sahagun, Genjin Wang, Fontana, Anna Kosudarsua, Brian J. and Erin G. Ptacek

Lake Geneva

David Fraser, Maria Concepcion Gallegos, Theodore F. Pocius, Arturo and Sofia Florentino Velazquez

Pell Lake

John Lydon


Angel L. Navarro, Juan and Griselda Estrada Sanchez

Last updated: 9:15 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print