UPDATE: Ashes likely cause of Evansville house fire
EVANSVILLE—Ashes from a backyard fire pit likely started a Monday morning fire that caused about $50,000 damage to a home on Evansville's southwest side, authorities said.
Firefighters were called to a one-story ranch home at 537 Abey Drive at 10:53 a.m. after a neighbor saw smoke and got everybody out, Evansville Fire Lt. Dick Noble said. The fire probably started from ashes inside a trash can on the deck next to the house, he said. The fire went up the wall and into the attic, and firefighters had to cut a hole in the roof, he said.
Hardly any smoke got inside the home, and the fire was extinguished in about 15 minutes, he said. Albany, Footville and Edgerton fire departments assisted at the scene.
Last updated: 11:21 am Monday, April 21, 2014