S.M.I.L.E.S. looking for volunteers
DARIEN—Can you get healthy by volunteering? Members of a therapeutic riding center think so.
Katie Lussenhop, volunteer coordinator for Special Methods in Learning Equine Skills in Darien is looking for volunteers to help care for the more than 20 horses on site used in therapy and skills sessions for more than 100 riders each week.
The center's spring session begins Monday, March 31. People interested in learning more may call (262) 882-3470 and arrange a time to visit the center and find out ways they can volunteer.
“The old saying is, 'The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man,' but actually the outside of a horse is good for the outside of a man as well,” Lussenhop wrote in a recent release.
She listed the benefits of volunteering in terms of good health:
• Walking is one of the best forms of exercise and walking one class a week is equivalent to walking an average of 1 mile and burns approximately 408 calories per class.
• Along with good exercise, you are reaping the benefits of helping others which is good for you mental well being.
• Classes all begin with grooming the horses which burns even more calories. The reaching, bending and stretching works well on trimming the waist line.
• Meeting new people and forming new friendships is always good for the soul.
• Smiling is beneficial to the cardiovascular system, respiratory system, muscular system, central nervous system and endocrine system.
For more information call S.M.I.L.E.S. at (262) 882-3470.