Janesville43°

Fire does $75,000 damage to Janesville home

Comments Comments Print Print
Gazette staff
March 14, 2014

JANESVILLE—Radiant heat from a wood burning stove was the likely cause of a fire late Thursday that caused $75,000 in damage to a home on Janesville's east side.

Firefighters were called at 10:57 p.m. to 112 Surrey Lane.

The homeowners, Gabriel S. and Jessica L. Storms, and their guests were able to get out of the house before firefighters arrived, said Scott Running, a shift commander for the Janesville Fire Department.

Running said radiant heat from the basement stove likely ignited the wooden structure around the metal chimney.

“We had to go through half the roof because it got in the attic,” he said.

Officials estimated damage at $60,000 to the structure and $15,000 to contents.

Jessica Storms was transported to St. Mary's Janesville Hospital after complaining of respiratory difficulties. She was released and later returned to the scene, Running said.

No other injuries were reported.



Comments Comments Print Print