House fire displaces Darien family
DARIEN—A town of Darien family was displaced from their home after a wood burning stove chimney fire spread into the attic Saturday morning, according to a Darien Fire Department spokesman.
Firefighters from 21 fire departments in four southern Wisconsin and northern Illinois counties provided mutual aid to the Darien Fire Department. The fire was reported at 8:54 a.m. Saturday at W8726 School Section Road, between Old Highway 89 and Highway 14 in the town of Darien, said Fire Chief Justin Schuenke.
Residents of the two-story single-family structure were home at the time of the fire but were all out and safe when firefighters arrived on scene, said Brian Shinkus, second assistant fire chief.
The American Red Cross was called to assist two of the three family members, Schuenke said.
The fire resulted in an estimated $150,000 of “significant smoke, flame and water damage” to the house, valued at around $200,000, he said.
The fire was doused with 50,000 gallons of water and extinguished two hours after it started, Schuenke said.
One firefighter suffered a minor injury while battling the blaze but was not taken to a hospital for treatment, he said.
Schuenke reminded homeowners to check their smoke alarms monthly and to replace batteries twice a year in addition to having your home's chimney or wood stove inspected and cleaned annually by a certified chimney specialist.