Fire takes heavy toll on town of Fulton home
TOWN OF FULTON—A furnace malfunction sparked an attic fire that did heavy damage to a town of Fulton home Tuesday and left two residents displaced, the Edgerton Fire Department reported.
Edgerton Fire Chief Brian Demrow said one resident at 10991 N. Gladys Drive West was treated for smoke inhalation at Edgerton Hospital after an attic fire broke out in the single-story home Tuesday morning.
Demrow said Edgerton fire crews responded shortly after 6 a.m. to the fire, which caught in the attic of the home after the furnace malfunctioned.
Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire, but it caused about $85,000 damage to the home, Demrow said. One firefighter sustained a back injury fighting the fire, and later was treated at Mercy Hospital and Trauma Center, Janesville, Demrow said.
The American Red Cross was assisting the residents, who were displaced by the fire, officials said. Fire departments from Milton, Janesville, Evansville, town of Turtle, town of Beloit and Cambridge assisted, Demrow said.