One injured, family displaced in Sharon fire

Print Print
Gazette staff | January 22, 2014

SHARON TOWNSHIP--Town of Sharon firefighters were dispatched at 8:12 a.m. Tuesday to a two-alarm fire at a home at 111 South St. in Sharon. The owner of the home was identified as Mike Hornby, said Sharon Fire Department Chief Bruce Vanderveen. 

The fire started in a second floor bedroom and caused $80,000 in damages, Vanderveen said. Smoke and flames were coming from two upstairs windows when Vanderveen arrived, he said.

Smoke and fire damaged the second floor, and smoke and water damaged the first floor, he said. Thirty firefighters from 10 fire departments, including those at a Clinton fire in Rock County earlier Tuesday morning , helped extinguish the blaze. Crews put out the fire in 50 minutes, Vanderveen said.

One person was treated and released at Aurora Lakeland Medical Center, Elkhorn, for minor burns. Residents of the home are staying with family, Vanderveen said.

Print Print