American Red Cross seeks Brave Hearts nominations
LAKE GENEVA—In May Abhay and Amanat Singh of Lake Geneva were recognized as American Red Cross Brave Heart Heroes for their actions in saving lives during the shooting at a Milwaukee-area Sikh temple in August 2012.
The children were only 11 and 9 at the time, but Abhay Singh said, “…(A)nybody can be a hero. An ordinary person can do something extraordinary.” Read the interview with Abhay and Amanat Singh HERE.
Brave Hearts Heroes is the award the Southeastern Wisconsin Chapter of the American Red Cross uses to honor extraordinary heroes who live and work in the area.
The agency is again asking the public to nominate individuals and celebrate a seemingly selfless act of courage, bravery or an action of lifesaving responsibility. Nominees are people that have saved or changed a life of one or many. The five award categories include: community safety, security and resiliency; emergency response; military, animal companion and youth. Nominee requirements include:
The specific heroic act must have occurred from January 1, 2013 to December 31, 2013.
• The act of courage or kindness can be ongoing or have occurred at a particular time.
• Either the nominee must be from, or the heroic act must have occurred in Dodge, Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Walworth, Washington and/or Waukesha County.
• If someone is nominated by a family member, an additional nomination from a person other than a family member is preferred.
• Additional consideration will be given for any American Red Cross involvement such as participate in training, involvement with a blood drive, community partnerships, collaborations or volunteerism.
• Award recipients must be present at the Brave Hearts: Heroes Among Us event and participate in a photo/video session prior to the event. If the recipient has passed since, then a family member may represent him/her at the event.
All heroes must be nominated prior to January 6, 2014. Visit www.redcross.org/sewibravehearts for more information & nomination form which can be completed online or printed. Nominations must be sent firstname.lastname@example.org or 2600 W. Wisconsin Ave., Milwaukee, WI 53233 Attention: Mallory Markham. Attachments, such as articles, video links, and/or photos, are encouraged, but not required.
All applications are reviewed by a business and community leaders committee and award nominees and award recipients are notified.
The Brave Hearts Heroes Among Us event- will be on Thursday, May 1, 2014 at the Pfister Hotel in Milwaukee. Complimentary seating is given to the nominee & award winner. The event is underwritten by corporate and foundation partners and is attended by nearly 400 people. Proceeds support our mission to prevent and alleviate human suffering in the face of emergencies.