10 Things to Know for Thursday, Nov. 14: White House scrambles for health insurance fix
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHITE HOUSE SCRAMBLES FOR A HEALTH INSURANCE FIX
The administration is looking for a way to counter the millions of coverage cancellations going to consumers.
2. HOW PEOPLE CAN BEST HELP TYPHOON VICTIMS
Forget sending rummage sale clothes, old toys and building supplies. Instead, make a donation to a respected charity.
3. MARINES KILLED DURING SAFETY SWEEP AT BASE
The four were clearing unexploded ordnance at Camp Pendleton in California, officials say.
4. TSA'S BEHAVIOR PROFILING CRITICIZED
The nearly $1 billion program to screen suspicious behavior of passengers at airports is "no better than chance," according to a government report.
5. FORMER NFL PLAYER GETS 15 YEARS IN DRUG CASE
Sam Hurd, who played for the Dallas Cowboys and the Chicago Bears, is sentenced for his role in a cocaine and marijuana distribution scheme.
6. TORONTO MAYOR STILL REFUSING TO STEP DOWN
Rob Ford admits buying illegal drugs while in office, but insists he remains "a positive role model for kids."
7. WHY ALEC BALDWIN'S ACCUSED STALKER IS ALREADY IN JAIL
Genevieve Sabourin's remarks, gasps and sobs from the defense table get her declared in contempt of court, regardless of the outcome of the trial.
8. PINK DIAMOND BRINGS $83 MILLION AT AUCTION
The 59.6-carat stone sells for a record amount at Christie's a day after a 14.82-carat orange sparkler went for $36 million.
9. WHO'S ELIGIBLE FOR A BRITISH PENSION
At 65, Prince Charles is still waiting to succeed his mother to the throne. But the longest-waiting heir in the kingdom's history is now eligible for government benefits.
10. TEACHING YOUR DOG TO SIT, STAY — AND SORT LAUNDRY
Veteran dog trainer to the stars Babette Haggerty shows you how in her book, "The Best Dog Tricks on the Planet."