Janesville43.9°

Candle blamed in fire that caused $17,000 damage

Print Print
Shelly Birkelo
October 2, 2013

JANESVILLE—A candle left burning in an apartment is being blamed for starting a Tuesday night fire that caused $17,000 damage and injured a dog that Janesville firefighters resuscitated.

Firefighters responded to a 20-unit apartment complex at 1407 Canyon Drive just after 10 p.m. Tuesday, Capt. Jody Stowers said.

Tenants evacuated before firefighters arrived, he said.

Tenants of upstairs apartment No. 9 returned home from shopping and found a candle left burning had fallen onto the floor and started the carpeting on fire. Although the fire was contained to the living room, it caused heat and smoke damage throughout the apartment that totaled $17,000, Stowers said.

The man and woman who lived in apartment No. 9  as well as the tenants of No. 1. were displaced because of water damage and power being shut off. Other tenants were able to reoccupy their apartments, he said.

Owners of the dog told fire officials they were taking their pet to a Madison veterinarian for treatment.



Print Print