Janesville rec activities, facilities now available to reserve online

Print Print
Shelly Birkelo
Monday, April 29, 2013

— Janesville residents can now register and pay online for many recreational activities, lessons and facility rentals.

Shelley Slapak, Janesville Leisure Services recreation director, suspects residents will find the service convenient because they will be able to register from home and after recreation department hours, which are 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays.

“It's been a goal for us for a long time,” Slapak said.

“A lot of time, you want to register when you're thinking about it, like on the weekend,” she added.

Residents can register for camps, lessons and events, such as Take a Kid Fishing, or any individual sport. Recreation equipment can also be requested.

Patrons cannot register their team rosters for softball, for example, because Slapak said it is easier for staff if those are delivered to the office. They also cannot reserve practice fields.

The online registration is a work in progress, Slapak said.

“There are a lot things that we don't have on there that we can do in the future as we work through it,” Slapak said.

A fee will be charged for the service and the amount represents a percentage of the total cost. Residents do not have to complete the registration if they don't want to pay the fee.

Registrations can still be mailed, faxed or put in a drop box.

To register online, start by going to the city's website. Move the mouse to “Departments & Services,” click on “Leisure Services” and scroll down until you see the link for “Online Registration.”

You will be directed to the ActiveNet registration site.

First-time residents will be asked to create an account with a password and valid address.

If you are registering for a facility, such as a pavilion, keep in mind that different criteria you might choose, such as the number of guests or whether you need a kitchen, will limit the facilities available for rent.

The Janesville City Council recently approved beer and wine at several pavilions. That information, however, is not on the rental website as criteria.

Alcohol is allowed at Palmer Park Hilltop Pavilion, Riverside Park north and south pavilions and Traxler Park Lions Pavilion and warming house.

Once you send in a request for a facility, staff will review and process the request and confirm the registration via email.

Last updated: 10:26 am Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Print Print