Town of Beloit home fire causes $6,000 damage
According to a news release:
Firefighters were dispatched at 1:26 p.m. to 418 E. Acorn Drive because a smoke alarm was going off. They found a light haze in the area with the smell of burning wood. Homeowner Gordon Gunn already had evacuated with his wife.
Gunn told firefighters a fuse had blown Saturday afternoon and had been replaced with no more problems.
Firefighters noticed a small black spot on the ceiling and quickly pulled the ceiling down in the larger living area. They were able to extinguish the attic fire with minimal water.
A short in the wiring started a fire on three of the 2-by-6 beams, causing them to burn in half and smolder for several hours. Deep insulation causing oxygen deprivation kept the fire from spreading.
The home's smoke detectors did not go off because the fire was contained in the attic. The house is inhabitable, and damages were estimated at $6,000. The family's pet bird was found unharmed.
Additional units from the town of Beloit, town of Turtle and Orfordville fire departments were requested.
Last updated: 7:40 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012