Police give details in Milton standoff

Print Print
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
— A Milton man held at gunpoint in his own residence ended a three-and-a-half hour standoff early Sunday by wrestling a handgun from a friend who was holding him hostage, police said.

Authorities haven't released full details, but the Milton Police Department says Jordan Sullivan, 25, of 47 Evergreen Drive, Milton, had been at a friend's home in the 500 block of Greenman Street on Saturday night or early Sunday.

After the friend went to sleep, police say Sullivan grabbed a 9 mm semiautomatic handgun belonging to his friend and then used it to hold his friend at gunpoint.

It wasn't clear Monday why Sullivan decided to hold his friend hostage.

"There's no indication of why this happened," Detective Ryan Justice said. "The victim went to bed, and then he woke up and there's the suspect (Sullivan) with the gun over his head."

Police on Monday were withholding the victim's name and address, but Justice said the man is in his mid-twenties and wasn't injured.

An 8-year-old boy, the victim's stepson, also was in the house, Justice said.

Justice said police learned of the hostage situation after Sullivan allowed the victim to make phone calls to a family member.

Family members reported the situation to police shortly after 2 a.m.

Before police arrived, Sullivan reportedly allowed the victim's son to flee the residence. The boy was uninjured and was met by a family member, Justice said.

About 20 officers from the Janesville Police Department, the Rock County Sheriff's Office and the Dane County Sheriff's Office SWAT team were brought in for backup, Justice said.

Hostage negotiators spent about three hours negotiating with Sullivan via telephone, while officers evacuated nearby homes.

Early in the standoff, Sullivan reportedly shot his handgun into a ceiling. Justice said police believe Sullivan fired the shots to prove he was armed.

Later, toward the mid-point of the standoff, Sullivan reportedly fired two more shots, but police haven't yet learned why. No one was injured.

It was unclear Monday if the residence was a rental property and whether any other tenants were at home during the standoff.

Negotiators reportedly continued to call Sullivan, asking him to come out of the residence.

"He had made some disturbing statements," Justice said, declining to give further details.

Shortly after 5:20 a.m. Sunday, the victim reportedly wrestled the handgun away from Sullivan. Sullivan then came out of the house and surrendered, Justice said. Police fired no shots and used no force, Justice said.

Police interviews with Sullivan and the victim haven't turned up clues as to why Sullivan took his friend hostage, but Justice said Sullivan had been drinking alcohol and was reportedly intoxicated.

Sullivan was taken to a hospital for evaluation and was booked in the Rock County Jail on charges of taking hostages, reckless endangerment, disorderly conduct while armed, and endangering safety by intoxicated used of a firearm, police said.

He is expected to appear in Rock County Court this week.

Last updated: 4:03 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print