Spontaneous combustion blamed for silo fire
The Footville Fire Department responded at about 6:30 p.m. Tuesday to 4934 Tuttle Road, south of Highway 14 in Center Township.
Smoke was coming out of the top of the 60-foot concrete silo when firefighters arrived, said Dave Butzler, Footville Fire Department deputy chief.
Firefighters were able to get at the fire through a wooden door about 15 feet from the ground.
The silo was about one-third full with haylage, Butzler said.
A damage estimate hasn't been determined.
The farm is owned by Robert and Cheryl Purkapile.
Last updated: 3:07 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012