Complaint: Shooting arose from drug deal

Print Print
Darryl Enriquez
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
— A drug deal that spun into a violent armed robbery led to the Aug. 5 shooting of a 20-year old Lake Geneva man in the lower back, according to criminal complaints filed Monday in Walworth County Court.

Large cash bails were set for the two area men accused of being involved in the robbery and shooting. The victim, Eric Grethe, was treated at an area hospital and was in Judge John Race’s court for Monday’s proceedings.

Just moments after being shot, Grethe chased the gunman until the painful, small-caliber wound to his lower back led him to collapse, according to a complaint. Grethe then called 911.

Meanwhile, the fleeing gunman fell into roadside bushes to avoid being struck by Grethe’s unattended and rolling vehicle where the robbery and shooting had occurred, according to a complaint.

Nathan N. Williams, 28, of Delavan was charged with robbing and shooting Grethe in Walworth Township.

Corey D. Moore-Morrison, 18, was named as Williams’ accomplice.

Both men were charged with armed robbery and intending to sell marijuana, both felonies. Williams faces additional felony counts of first-degree reckless injury with the use of a weapon and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Bail was set at $50,000 for Moore-Morrison and $100,000 for Williams.

According to Grethe’s police statement contained in the complaint:

Grethe contacted Moore-Morrison to buy a small amount of marijuana for about $60. They met 30 minutes later in Delavan and drove to a location near Doris Street and South Shore Drive while Williams drove another car behind them.

Moore-Morrison’s story disputes what Grethe claims. Moore-Morrison told police that Grethe wanted a half-pound of marijuana and was willing to pay up to $1,500.

After they stopped, Williams got into the back seat of Grethe’s car, pointed a gun at Grethe’s head and demanded money. Grethe pushed Williams arm down and struggled with the gunman. Two to three shots were fired, one striking Grethe. Moore-Morrison bailed out of the car.

During the struggle, Moore-Morrison returned to the car and grabbed the money and handed it to Williams, according to the complaint.

After Williams dodged the rolling car, he and Moore-Morrison returned to Williams’ car to flee. The two drove to the end of a dead-end street and ran into the woods when they heard police sirens, according to a complaint.

Moore-Morrison threw the gun into a canal and was captured after running in front of a searching squad car. Williams was apprehended inside a home that he had broken into, according to a complaint.

Police recovered the gun, $500 from Williams and $900 from the residential driveway where Grethe had collapsed.

Last updated: 2:35 pm Thursday, December 13, 2012

Print Print