Chimney fire results in $2,000 damage

Print Print
Shelly Birkelo
Monday, February 3, 2014

DARIEN—A wood-burning stove caused a chimney fire Sunday night that resulted in $2,000 damage to a garage in the village of Darien, according to a Darien Fire Department news release.

When firefighters arrived at 7:39 p.m. Sunday, they found smoke and flames showing from the upper story of a two-story detached garage at 47 N. Walworth St., according to the release.

The fire was under control within 10 minutes but left $2,000 damage. Authorities shut down Highway 14 for about 90 minutes.

One patient was assessed by Darien EMS. No firefighters battling the blaze were hurt.

Fire officials reminded those who use wood stoves to have it inspected and cleaned annually by a certified chimney specialist and to use fire-resistant materials on walls around the wood stove.

Print Print