UPDATE: Walworth County Sheriff's deputies involved in fatal shooting of suspect

Print Print
staff, Gazette
Thursday, June 13, 2013

— TOWN OF LA GRANGE—The Walworth County Sheriff's Office has released the name of a man killed in an officer-involved shooting early this morning.

The sheriff’s office said in a news release that the deceased is Jeremiah B. Krubert, 39, of Elkhorn.

The release describes a bloody assault by Krubert of Michael J. Boyd, 54, apparently at Boyd’s home at N7248 County O.

A deputy who was responding to a report of a home invasion encountered Krubert as he was leaving the property, and Krubert “confronted” the deputy with “an edged weapon,” the release states, and the deputy shot “multiple times.”

Krubert then stole the deputy’s squad car, and a pursuit ensued south on County O. The squad car crashed at the “T” intersection of Millard Road and Pierce Road in the town of Sugar Creek, the release states.

“Jeremiah is alleged to have exited the squad car with the squad shotgun,” the release continues. “He walked towards the deputies and refused commands to drop the weapon. At this time three deputies discharged their firearms, and Jeremiah fell to the ground. He was pronounced dead at the scene.”

Krubert beat Boyd with a metal object, causing extensive damage to his skull and face, the release states.

Boyd and his girlfriend, Kathleen M. Krubert, 58, live at the residence, and Jeremiah is Kathleen's son, the release states.

Boyd was taken to Lakeland Medical Center in Elkhorn but then transferred to "a higher level of care facility in the Milwaukee area" because of the severity of his injuries, the release states.

The sheriff's department reported earlier today that deputies were involved in an officer-involved shooting southeast of Whitewater at 2:45 a.m. today and that a suspect was dead.

The state Office of Criminal Investigation is investigating the incident with the help of the sheriff's office, the release states.

"The four deputies involved have been placed on administrative duties, which is standard practice for these types of incidents," the release states.

Ricci Mane, a neighbor on Jackson Road, said he has lived in the area for more than 10 years and has never seen any problems at the home where the shooting occurred. He said he didn’t know the residents’ names.

Another neighbor, Tom Benigno, who lives on County O, said he says hello to one of the residents every morning, and he couldn’t imagine any problems with the family. It’s always quiet around the neighborhood, he said.

This is the fourth officer-involved shooting involving Walworth County sheriff’s deputies since July 2010.

--Jan. 21, 2013: A deputy fatally shot a jail inmate, 18-year-old Alfredo Emilio Villarreal of Janesville, who was hospitalized at Aurora Lakeland Medical Center, Elkhorn. The deputy was guarding the inmate, who asked to be unshackled from his bed to use the bathroom. Authorities said Villarreal attacked the deputy and used a chair to try to smash the window and hit the deputy. The deputy’s Taser failed to stop Villarreal, and the deputy fatally shot Villarreal.

--Aug. 24, 2012: A deputy shot Robert Lynn, a suspect in a bank robbery at People’s Bank north of Elkhorn. The deputy attempted to stop Lynn’s vehicle by setting up stop sticks on Marsh Road about a mile into Waukesha County when he tried to run the deputy over, Sheriff David Graves said. The deputy shot Lynn in the arm.

--May 5, 2012: A deputy fatally shot John W. Brown, 22, at his home on Meadow Lane in the town of Lyons after Brown’s mother reported her son was suicidal. Brown approached two deputies with a knife, according to investigative reports, and one deputy fired two shots, killing Brown. Brown’s mother filed a lawsuit last month in federal court against the deputy and county, accusing the officer of using excessive force.

--July 13, 2010: A sheriff’s deputy and two town of Geneva police officers simultaneously fatally shot Roman O. Petriw, 47, at a home on Dandelion Road in the town of Geneva. Petriw failed to obey orders to drop two handguns, and he shot himself two times in the torso before dropping the weapons, according to reports. Officers ordered him to keep his hands up, but he reached for the gun, prompting officers to fire at him.

Last updated: 9:43 am Monday, July 29, 2013

Print Print