Girl recounts horror of stabbing: Report

Print Print
Tuesday, November 6, 2012

— The girl told police she woke to yelling and the sensation of her throat being cut.

The girl, identified in the criminal complaint against Larry Shannon as "victim No. 1," told police Shannon had choked her until she was unconscious. When she woke, she heard another girl, identified as "victim No. 2," yelling at Shannon.

And then Shannon used a knife to cut the throat of victim No. 1, according to the complaint.

Victim No. 1 remained conscious and saw Shannon stab victim No. 2 in the throat and arm. Victim No. 1 fled to the bathroom, but Shannon followed her and knocked her to the ground. She hit her head against a toilet and lost consciousness, according to the complaint.

She woke to being dragged upstairs, where Shannon bound her hands, feet and mouth with duct tape. The girl said she saw victim No. 2 in the room already bound with duct tape, according to the complaint.

Whitewater police responded to the home at 3:57 p.m. Oct. 29 for a report of a domestic disturbance with children suffering life-threatening injuries.

Whitewater police Detective Sergeant Tina Winger reported she heard screaming and crying when she approached the home and saw victim No. 2 covered in blood from a deep cut on the side of her neck, according to the complaint.

The girl told Winger that Shannon was trying to kill her and had fled the house in a car with two juveniles, including victim No. 1. The girl said Shannon had threatened to kill both juveniles in the car and himself, according to the criminal complaint.

Winger also spoke with an adult female at the residence, identified as victim No. 3. When she had arrived at the home, the woman said, Shannon had choked her until she lost consciousness. Shannon dragged her into the living room, tied her to a chair and told her he would kill her using pills and alcohol and that "they would both be going to hell," according to the complaint.

A Rock County deputy spotted Shannon's car at 4:20 p.m. on County S northeast of Beloit. Police from several departments joined the chase.

Shannon stopped in the 1200 block of Philhower Road, where a 12-year-old child got out of the car. Shannon took off at 80 mph. The child had a deep cut in her neck, according to a criminal complaint filed in Rock County Court.

Eventually, a Wisconsin state trooper rammed Shannon's car and caused it to spin into a tree on Beloit's east side.

The 6-year-old passenger was transported to Beloit Memorial Hospital with minor injuries. The child told police Shannon had attacked the child's mother and siblings.

The injuries to victim No. 1 included a 9-inch cut on her throat that required 15 stitches to repair. Injuries to victim No. 2 included a 5-inch cut, according to the criminal complaint.

Walworth County prosecutors on Monday charged Shannon, 40, of 310 S. Janesville St., Whitewater, with two counts of attempted first-degree intentional homicide and three counts of false imprisonment.

The relationship between Shannon and the victims and the motive for the stabbings is not clear.

Shannon appeared in Walworth County Court by video Monday from the Rock County Jail, where he was being held on Rock County charges stemming from the high-speed chase.

Walworth County District Attorney Dan Necci called Shannon's criminal record "extensive," saying it includes striking an officer and battery.

Walworth County Judge John Race ordered Shannon held on a $1 million cash bond.

Race requested Shannon be transferred to the Walworth County Jail on Tuesday.

If convicted on the Walworth County charges, Shannon faces up to 138 years in prison.

Last updated: 11:46 am Thursday, March 14, 2013

Print Print