Janesville man pleads guilty to reduced charge in 2016 shooting
JANESVILLE—A Janesville man pleaded guilty in Rock County Court on Tuesday to a reduced charge for shooting and wounding another man in a drug deal gone bad last year.
Nando M. Enis, 21, of 713 Yuba St., was originally charged with party to attempted first-degree intentional homicide, armed robbery and robbery by use of force, which carry a combined maximum prison sentence of 75 years.
Enis pleaded guilty Tuesday to first-degree reckless injury, which carries a maximum prison sentence of 25 years.
The charges came after Mandrick T.J. Teich, 19, Janesville, was shot twice in the 300 block of Wilson Avenue on Nov. 7, 2016, in what police said was a marijuana deal gone bad.
Teich survived what were said to be life-threatening injuries after he drove himself to the hospital.
Enis is accused of firing one of the shots as he and Teich struggled over the drug deal.
Eric M. Short, 17, of 901 Brewster Ave., Beloit, is accused of firing the second shot.
Short was waived into adult court, where he pleaded not guilty. His trial is set for Jan. 8.
Frederick E. Johnson, 26, of 422 Lincoln St., Janesville, faced the same charges in the case, although he was not accused of shooting Teich.
Johnson, who identified Short to investigators, was sentenced in June to five months probation.
Judge Michael Haakenson found Enis guilty, ordered a presentence investigation, and set sentencing for Feb. 23.