UPDATE: Whitewater couple charged with reckless homicide after man's apparent heroin death

Print Print
Jonah Beleckis
Friday, October 13, 2017

WHITEWATER—A Whitewater couple face party to first-degree reckless homicide charges after the apparent heroin death of a man whose body was found on the UW-Whitewater campus, according to a criminal complaint filed Friday.

Jeremy D. Meyer, 36, of 228 N. Danville St., Unit N, and his girlfriend, Kori L. Kincaid, 39, of the same address, are charged in the death of Joshua R. Syck, 34, according to the complaint, which was filed in Walworth County Court.

At about 11 p.m. Sept. 2, UW-Whitewater police responded to the university's intramural fields near where Syck's body had been found in a portable toilet, according to the complaint.

Syck had "tie off" marks on his left forearm, something resembling an injection mark on his left hand and a syringe near his body, according to the complaint.

Syck's girlfriend was holding his body when police arrived. She told police Syck frequently bought pills from Meyer, according to the complaint.

Meyer, who was also at the scene when police arrived, often met Syck in Lot 22 on campus, Syck's girlfriend told police.

She said Syck had visited Meyer the previous evening and acted strangely when he returned. She said she was upset he was using heroin and confronted him about it, according to the complaint.

At about 11 a.m. Sept. 2, Syck had left his home to meet Meyer, Syck's girlfriend said. She started sending messages to her boyfriend at about 2 p.m., but he did not respond, according to the complaint.

Meyer came over about 9 p.m. to help look for Syck. The two found him with a syringe in his hand and his wallet and a Ziplock bag nearby, according to the complaint.

The girlfriend said Meyer told her to “get that (expletive) out of there,” referring to the syringe, according to the complaint.

Police on Sept. 19 spoke to a woman who said she and Meyer had driven to Rockford, Illinois, on the day Syck died, and Meyer had bought heroin and crack cocaine, according to the complaint.

As that day went on, the woman said Meyer was concerned about not hearing from Syck, who Meyer said had overdosed the night before and had turned blue before leaving his home, the complaint states.

A few hours later, Meyer texted the woman to “get here fast,” and she drove to the UW-W fields, according to the complaint.

While there, Meyer gave the woman Syck's wallet because Meyer knew Syck kept heroin in his wallet. Meyer said he was concerned that his and Kincaid's DNA would be on the heroin bag because “he had given it to Josh and that he and Kincaid both handled the bag,” the complaint states.

Meyer told the woman he and Kincaid used the heroin they found in Syck's wallet, according to the complaint.

On Oct. 10, police executed a search warrant at Meyer and Kincaid's home, where they found a young child and a third adult, according to the complaint.

Police also found several glass pipes, metal cookers, cotton balls, syringes and other drug paraphernalia at the home, the complaint states.

Kincaid told police that on the morning of Sept. 2, Meyer tried to buy heroin from Syck because he had some left over from the night before. She described Syck as “just kind of twitching” that night, not turning blue, the complaint states.

Kincaid told police Syck's wallet was in the kitchen drawer. She said she had looked through it and did not find any heroin, according to the complaint.

Kincaid also faces a charge of party to possession of drug paraphernalia.

Judge Kristine Drettwan on Wednesday set a $10,000 cash bond for Kincaid, who made her initial appearance in court Friday, court records show.

Meyer received the same cash bond and also made an initial appearance Friday, court records show. He faces the same charges as Kincaid, with the addition of a charge of party to theft from a person or corpse.

As of Friday night, online court records did not list their next court appearances.

Print Print