Mystery Place: Farm's acreage ebbed and flowed with ownership
You can see the former Acker/Lambert farm south of Pell Lake on County Highway H, just before Daisy Road in Section 27 in the town of Bloomfield.
The 1857 plat map shows N.M. Acker owning 288 acres in Section 27. The 1900 plat book shows the N.M. Acker Est. having 190 acres.
Newman McClellan Acker was the son of Silas and Elizabeth (Richmond) Acker. He was born Feb. 9, 1824, in New York. He married Samantha Jane Richmond in 1846; she also was from New York. They came to Bloomfield in 1849 and settled on land formerly owned by W.H. Allen. They called it The Maples Farm.
Newman and Samantha brought two of their children, her father Elijah and mother Elizabeth, her sister Hulda and brothers Ira and James.
Newman and Samantha had a total of seven children. Della Loretta was their fifth child. She was born on March 11, 1858. She married Myron Lambert on March 29, 1882.
Lambert was born in Chemung, Boone County, Illinois, on May 3, 1858. After marrying, he lived on the Acker farm, purchasing it after the death of his mother-in-law. He continued active farming until his death on May 16, 1916.
The 1919 “Prairie Farmer's Reliable Directory of Farmers and Breeders” lists Della Lambert as the owner of 186 acres. She leased the farm to her son, Pearle A. Lambert, who raised Holstein cattle and Hampshire hogs.
The 2016 plat book shows the owner of this farm as Gretchen A. Henricks Etal, with acreage of 175.
Ginny Hall, a Delavan historian, is author of the “Walking around ...” and “Meandering ... ” books, which highlight the history of Walworth County communities.