Mystery Place: Early farm owner raised eight children here
A barn quilt called Morning Star is at the Henry farm at the corner of County Highway B and Indian Hills Road, Section 24 in the town of Walworth.
The 1857 plat map shows that this farm was owned by D.C. Porter; the ownership continued in the 1873 plat book.
According to the 1882 History of Walworth County, Porter was a vice president of the Old Settlers Society from 1874 through 1876, representing the town of Walworth. He came to this area in 1837 and was a town supervisor in 1848 and 1859. He was chairman of the town board and served on the county board in 1852.
Porter, in addition to being a farmer, was the senior member of Porter & Montague, owners of Fontana Park, which opened in 1875. The area had been the camp of Chief Big Foot.
Porter was born in Massachusetts on Sept. 16, 1815. He lived in that state until age 21. Then he moved to Ohio for three years before heading to Wisconsin and Walworth Township. He returned to Ohio and on Aug. 14, 1839, married Nancy Hanchet.
They had three daughters and five sons. The eldest, Dwight W., died in childhood. The next were daughters Eliza J., Amelia and Adeline. Doric N., William P., Lester C. and David W. followed.
Richard A. Miller is shown as the owner in plat books from 1948 through 1988. William James Henry is shown as owner in 1990 and is the current owner.
Ginny Hall, a Delavan historian, is author of the “Walking around ...” and “Meandering ... ” books, which highlight the history of Walworth County communities.