Heroin overdose leads to Rock River search Sunday

Print Print
Frank Schultz
Monday, July 31, 2017

TOWN OF JANESVILLE -- A man who had just been revived from a heroin overdose jumped into the Rock River, leading to an hours-long search by Rock County deputies and Janesville firefighters early Sunday morning, according to court documents.

Jacob L. Martin, 35, of 4838 W. Oakwood Park Drive, Janesville, disappeared from his riverside residence at about 3 a.m. Sunday, and a relative who followed him heard him thrashing and splashing in the water, according to a criminal complaint.

A river search was started. Divers were called in after a shoe was found. The shoe matched the description of what Martin was wearing.

Martin reappeared at the house, wet and muddy, at about 8 a.m. and was arrested, according to the complaint.

Martin was found unconscious in his room sometime before 2:50 a.m., and a woman who had been called to help injected him with Narcan and began CPR, according to the complaint.

The relative continued CPR, and Martin woke up and stumbled out of the residence, disappearing into the river near a private boat launch, according to the complaint.

Martin told deputies he didn't remember anything before jumping in the river. He said he jumped in because he was afraid of going to prison, according to the complaint.

Martin said he swam downstream for 90 minutes before getting out and walking home, according to the complaint.

Deputies found a corner of a bag filled with a substance that tested positive for heroin and fentanyl as well as injection materials in Martin's room, according to the complaint.

Martin was charged Monday in Rock County Court with possession of narcotics and drug paraphernalia and bail jumping.

Martin was released on a signature bond after his initial court appearance. He was ordered to consume no narcotics unless they are prescribed.

Martin was convicted of seventh-offense intoxicated driving in 2014, when the intoxicant was said to be opiates, according to court records. He was sentenced to three years in prison and was ordered released this March.

Deputies had been at the residence May 11 and June 15, each time for an overdose, each time Martin was revived with Narcan, and each time he was charged with narcotics possession, according to criminal complaints.

Print Print