Your Views: Plenty of reasons to oppose rail plan
Great Lakes Basin Transportation filed an application with the federal Surface Transportation Board on May 1 for authority to construct and operate a 261-mile rail line from Milton to Pinola, Indiana. Great Lakes Basin also filed a motion for protective order to keep the 10 principal stakeholders and their holdings hidden from the public.
Following are some high (or low) lights from the application:
1) The route in the application is the same as the September 2016 route.
2) The price went from $8 billion to $2.8 billion!
3) The information about stakeholders and their holdings was redacted.
4) Great Lakes Basin did not submit letters from any railroads or shippers indicating they would use the rail.
5) Great Lakes Basin continues to discuss options for financing for permitting, land acquisition and construction. Construction would be financed through “issuance of debt securities.”
6) The application is based on speculative information. It contains nothing that would sway the mind of any landowner in favor of it.
We need your letters. Write the Surface Transportation Board to request it denies the motion for protective order (due by May 20). Write another letter opposing the rail and your reasons why (due June 5). Write from your heart! Extensions were requested but not yet granted.
Learn more about the opposition to the rail at www.Blockglbrailroad.com, email email@example.com or call 608-312-1512.