|

New information suggests Jakubowski planned violence

Print Print
Frank Schultz
Wednesday, April 19, 2017

JANESVILLE--Whether Joseph Jakubowski intended to commit an act of violence remains unknown, but new information surfaced Wednesday to support that theory.

Investigators have said their biggest concern was that Jakubowski intended to commit an act of mass murder with the 18 weapons and ammunition taken in a gun shop burglary in the town of Janesville the night of April 4.

Authorities didn't start their massive manhunt until more than 24 hours after the burglary because they hadn't heard about his manifesto that called for violence against elites that Jakubowski apparently saw as enslaving the masses.

The manhunt started after a Janesville man contacted police the night of April 5, according to a search warrant affidavit that was made public Wednesday.

The informant told a Janesville patrol officer that Jakubowski wanted to “hurt people” in a building, but he did not indicate any specific building, according to the document.

Investigators say Jakubowski on April 4 mailed his manifesto to President Donald Trump, planted a fake bomb at a gas station to draw police away from the burglary, stole the guns, burned his SUV on a rural road and disappeared.

Nine days later, a landowner in rural Vernon County told the local sheriff's office about a man camping on his property, and Jakubowski was captured.

The informant told police April 5 he had seen a news report about the burglary. He said Jakubowski “told him about this plan to rob a gun store, hide the guns, burn the truck and then to 'go about the rest of the mission,'” according to the search warrant.

“(The informant) believed Jakubowski told him these things in order to find out whether or not (the informant) would be interested in joining this 'mission,'” the document states.

Investigators talked to the informant again the next morning, and he told them he didn't know what the “mission” was, but his phone might contain clues to Jakubowski's whereabouts.

The search warrant resulted in a “forensic analysis” of the phone. Capt. Todd Christiansen of the sheriff's office detectives said information from the informant's phone was not useful.

Investigators did find social media postings in which Jakubowski described himself as a “warrior” who opposes the government, the document states.

THE BURNED SUV

A separate search warrant affidavit asks for permission to search Jakubowski's red, 2001 Dodge Durango, which a deputy found engulfed in flames on Pennycook Road in the town of Janesville soon after the burglary.

Investigators found metal cans in the SUV, “consistent with Coleman camp fuel cans,” which were “positioned in various locations in the vehicle and near the center console.”

The fuel cans suggest the fire was set intentionally, the document states.

The same document says investigators contacted Jakubowski's sister about 36 minutes after the informant contacted the officer.

The sister said Jakubowski “had been acting unusual lately and moved out that day (April 4),” the document states. “He left behind his keys and said he wouldn't be back.”

GUNS STILL MISSING

Christiansen said Wednesday morning the missing weapons had not been recovered.

Investigators are following up on tips, “but nothing is panning out as of right now,” Christiansen said.

Christiansen told The Gazette the long gun recovered when Jakubowski was captured is an IWI Tavor X95, apparently a semi-automatic weapon.

Its manufacturer calls the X95 “a special-forces firearm for the 21st century.”

Jakubowski is believed to have taken one other long gun from the gun shop, an M16-style assault rifle, which remains missing along with 12 handguns.

Christiansen said he presumes the M16 is an automatic, but he can't confirm because the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has the weapons.

The FBI previously declined to say whether the M16 had been found.

Christiansen said two handguns with silencers were taken from the gun shop, but only one of those was found with Jakubowski.

FEDERAL INDICTMENT

Also Wednesday, a federal grand jury for the Western District of Wisconsin indicted Jakubowski.

Jakubowski is charged with stealing 18 firearms and two silencers from Armageddon Supplies in the town of Janesville on the night of April 4.

The indictment also charges Jakubowski with being a felon in possession of the firearms and silencers.

The U.S. attorney's complaint against Jakubowski originally charged him with stealing two firearms and two silencers from Armageddon Supplies.

Federal law requires that felony offenses be charged by an indictment returned by a grand jury within 30 days of the date a criminal complaint is filed.

Jakubowski will remain in federal custody pending his arraignment, which is scheduled for 9 a.m. Tuesday, April 25, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office in Madison.

Jakubowski is being held at the Rock County Jail, where he also is in state custody.

Jakubowski also is being held on $30,000 bond on state charges of burglary while arming himself with a weapon, felony theft of firearms and possession of burglary tools.

The maximum prison term for the state charges is 24 years and six months.

If convicted on the federal charges, Jakubowski faces a maximum 10 years in federal prison on each count.



Print Print