Charges filed after Lake Geneva house raided, meth cook ignites in Lake Geneva hotel
ELKHORN—Police reported finding methamphetamine ingredients and waste when they raided Patrick McBean's Lake Geneva home Jan. 5.
But McBean wasn't there.
Four days later, while investigating what police say was a meth lab explosion in a Lake Geneva hotel room, they found McBean in a room filled with acrid smoke.
McBean's facial hair had been burned off. He was confused and had burns on his hands and face, according to court documents.
Other police were tending to a badly burned woman, Melissa Kuen, who had run from the room to another hotel.
The thick smoke burned the lungs of police who responded to investigate the explosion at The Cove hotel, 111 Center St., Lake Geneva, at about 3:14 a.m. Monday. Four police officers, one firefighter and a security officer were treated and released at Lakeland Medical Center in Elkhorn after inhaling the smoke they said smelled of chemicals.
McBean, 50, of 427 Spring St., Lake Geneva, was charged Thursday in Walworth County Court with possession of waste from meth manufacturing, party to possession of drug paraphernalia, maintaining a drug trafficking place and misdemeanor bail jumping.
Police suspected McBean was making meth in the The Cove hotel room before it ignited, sending Kuen, 35, of Williams Bay, to a Milwaukee hospital with burn injuries, according to the complaint.
It was not clear from court documents Friday why police had raided McBean's home at 427 Spring St., Lake Geneva, on Jan. 5.
In addition to McBean, two of the three other residents of the house have been charged:
-- Krista L. Stoll Wobig, 31, with possession of meth, possession of materials for making meth and possession of meth waste and party to possession of drug paraphernalia.
-- Daniel W. Wobig, 28, with party to possession of meth, possession of materials for making meth, possession of meth waste, possession of drug paraphernalia and felony bail jumping.
Walworth County sheriff's deputies executed a search warrant at about 9:45 a.m. Jan. 5 at the Spring Street house where McBean, Wobig, Stoll Wobig and a 47-year-old man reside, according to the complaints.
Police found a vial with 3.8 grams of meth, materials for making meth and meth waste, according to the complaints.
Stoll Wobig and Wobig both told police they are recovering heroin addicts, but Wobig said he has been using meth for about three months, according to the complaint. Wobig said he tried to make meth once in November, but it did not work well so he hasn't tried to cook the drug since then.
Stoll Wobig is scheduled for a status conference at 1:15 p.m. March 8 while Wobig is scheduled for a preliminary hearing at 3 p.m. Monday, Jan. 23.
In The Cove hotel room Monday, an officer saw a pot with water boiling on the stove with a box of cough medicine floating in the water, according to the complaint. He also reported seeing charred debris and burn marks on the walls in the bathroom, where it appeared the ignition occurred.
McBean told police a woman was cooking food and burnt it, according to the complaint. When asked why his nose was bleeding, McBean said it was because he ran into a door while trying to put out the fire on the woman.
Police found a sunglasses case with two pipes in the snow outside the room, according to the complaint. An employee at the hotel said McBean checked in Jan. 6 and he went to the front lobby Monday to tell staff he was smoking on his balcony and that was why the fire alarm went off.
McBean told police Kuen had put a pot on the stove, had gone into the bathroom and then there was an explosion, according to the complaint.
In the room, police found items related to making meth, such as Sudafed tablets, batteries, a pair of pliers, a funnel, rubbing alcohol, drain cleaner, camping fuel and a bottle with tubing hooked up to it as a “gas generator,” according to the complaint.
Police found Kuen after another report that she was yelling at a hotel up the street and had been badly burned, according to the complaint. Kuen told police she had been helping a friend put gas into a car and someone lit a cigarette nearby.
Kuen had burns to both hands, her chin and chest.
McBean and Kuen were on "log books" for having purchased pseudoephedrine in the past two months, according to the complaint. McBean had purchased or exceeded his purchasing limits of pseudoephedrine.
While in custody, McBean said two people were making meth in his home and he had nothing to do with it, according to the complaint.
McBean is scheduled for a motion hearing at 1:15 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 18.