|

Fire breaks out in Whitewater apartment building

Comments Comments Print Print
Gazette staff
Wednesday, November 9, 2016

WHITEWATER—A few students jumped out of second-story windows to escape a fire in their apartment building Wednesday night in Whitewater, a UW-Whitewater student told The Gazette.

The apartment complex, which houses UW-Whitewater students and others, was shut down after a fire damaged it Wednesday night, authorities reported.

The fire broke out sometime after 7 p.m. at the University Garden Apartments, 370 N. Tratt St.

Some residents were trapped but evacuated safely, and no one was injured, according to a Whitewater Fire Department news release.

UW-Whitewater student Brad Allen, a part-time Gazette employee, said several students heard what sounded like an explosion and speculated that was from a gas line.

Allen said he had not heard of any injuries, including among those who jumped.

Allen said he saw too many fire trucks to count on the scene around 8:30 p.m.

The apartment complex will be closed until further notice, according to the release.

The fire department, police, UW-Whitewater and American Red Cross were working to find temporary shelter for the displaced residents, according to the release.

Whitewater students who live at University Garden Apartments were told to report to the UW-W Visitors Center and displaced community members to the UW-W's Williams Center, Gymnasium No. 1.

Allen said at 9:50 p.m. that it appeared the fire was contained, but fire officials remained too busy to talk to reporters from the UW-W student newspaper, the Royal Purple.



Comments Comments Print Print