Janesville46°

UPDATED: Fire out in Delavan

Print Print
Gazette staff
August 7, 2014

DELAVAN—A fire at a Delavan recycling business caused an estimated $25,000 damage Thursday morning.

Delavan firefighters were called at 6:07 a.m. to Southern Lake recycling, 1849 Hobbs Drive.

An operator was lifting scrap metal, including an old vehicle, into a baler when the claw off his machine apparently created a spark that touched off gas remaining in the vehicle, said Inspector Tim Sturtevant of the Delavan Fire Department.

The fire damaged a membrane roof over the structure.

The department requested mutual aid from Elkhorn, Darien, town of Delavan and Walworth fire departments.

The scene was cleared by 8:55 a.m., and no one was injured.

"They were back to baling before we left," Sturtevant said.



Print Print